FLACS e-News Briefs
Dateline: October 5, 2015 - Click below for this highly informative newsletter!
Dateline: May 8, 2015 - FLACS recently discovered a website that contains a wealth of information related to World Language Scoring Guides. Click below to evaluate for yourself!
FLACS has put together an FAQ to provide answers to those questions which are most important. Please note it remains a work in progress and updates will be made to it as new questions arise.
FLACS has recently installed a new bulletin board sharing center in the Members Only area to allow FLACS members the opportunity to facilitate discussion on numerous topics. Please click the link below to log in to this special area to take advantage of the conversations!.
FLACS was recognized in the Times Beacon Record for their efforts in creating a LOTE exam.
All about FLACS and our Exams
FLACS is excited to support school districts throughout New York State with out 2016 FLACS exam. Complete details about the exam and how to participate can be found on this website. If you have any questions, please use the Contact Us area located in the bottom right hand side of this page.
- FLACS Exam 2016
FAQ from FLACS Assessments Workshops
- General Membership Questions and Exam Consortium Questions
- 2015 FLACS Exam descriptors
- Themes for World Languages in the 21st Century
- Writing Rubrics
- FLACS PowerPoints
2015-2016 Calendar of Events
FLACS meets with NYSED
Dear FLACS Members:
This past month was very exciting for the FLACS executive board.Check out the highlights below:
On December 2, 2014 NYSED hosted a meeting to address many of our concerns and interests. The participants at the meeting were: Angelica Infante-Green, NYSED Associate Commissioner for Bilingual Education and Foreign Languages, Lissette Colon-Collins, Assistant to Ms. Green, Dr. Elaine Margarita, President of FLACS, Joan Anderson, Chief Operating Officer of FLACS, Dr. Jennifer Eddy, Assistant Professor of World Language Education and Youth Services at Queens College, and via conference call: John Carlino, Executive Director of NYSAFLT, Francesco Fratto, President Elect of NYSAFLT, and Bill Anderson, 2014 President of NYSAFLT. It truly was a 21st Century meeting. We were productive, flexible, creative, thinking critically as we addressed and solved problems together, demonstrating leadership, and collaborating in innovative ways. Most importantly, we all left the meeting feeling very positive and energized about "World Languages" and our plans for moving forward with highly effective and standards-based instruction, curriculum, and assessments across the state.
Below is a summary of what we discussed.
- The State Education Department will transition to the nomenclature of "World Languages" in place of LOTE, in response to the request made by FLACS president, Elaine Margarita.
- FLACS exams will be reviewed and
analyzed for the following three objectives:
- Listed officially as an "approved" assessment on the SED website,
- Available as an alternative assessment for the new "Pathways to Graduation" program for a Regents Diploma,
- Used to grant credit by examination for ELLs and other extenuating circumstances for students at risk for graduating.
- Ms. Infante-Green will request a meeting for this spring with the Board of Regents and the FLACS Executive Board along with Dr. Eddy to present the proposal of SED officially approving FLACS exams.
- Future SED calendars will designate FLACS exams on the (3rd) Monday as the official testing date for World Language exams. The FLACS Exams will continue to be posted on the SED website as a viable option for World Language assessments as we are going through the validation process.
- The Themes document will replace the Modern Language Syllabus list of "Topics" and will be enhanced to include units developed for each theme.
- News item: SED will be adding a new position, an Associate for World Languages, to be announced at a future date.
Ms. Infante-Green asked Elaine Margarita and Joan
Anderson, as representatives of FLACS, to attend
meetings with SED every other month. We agreed to meet in
January at a date to be arranged.
Warm regards and Happy Holidays!